The Import Wizard of Store Manager for Magento facilitates efficient importing of the various product types - simple, grouped, configurable, bundle etc.
Before importing configurable products in bulk you need to make sure that in your .csv file you have all the data you are going to import and that they are correctly listed and organized.
Before starting the process of import of your configurable products, please, check if you in your .csv file indicated the following:
You can check the example of .csv file with correctly organized columns for proper configurable product upload below.
Please, mind that in every case the combinations of .csv fileds may be different and also you should remember about required data that are used to create correct product. It depends upon Magento required attributes (like description, price, qty, etc) or your the required attributes which you yourself set as required.
After you make sure that your .csv file contains all the necessary data, you can go ahead and launch Import Products Wizard itself.
1. You can call up Import Products Wizard from the drop-down if you choose the appropriate action in tab Store or you can also choose Import Products Wizard button on the toolbar. Either you can right-click on any products and
choose the action to run the wizard.
2. Import is mass procedure and is rather complicated one, so to ensure the safety of your data we recommend you to do database backup. It can be done directly from Import Wizard Window by pressing that appropriate button.
In order to proceed with uploading of your configurable products, please, select Import button.
3. The next step allows you to select the file you would like to use for import. Click browse button to see your local folders and to specify the location of the .csv file.
If your file is stored somewhere remotely, you can also use HTTP or FTP link to the .csv file.
If you had performed import previously and saved import configuration settings, you can load them at this step of import.
4. step At the step of .csv file preview there are no additional options to set. This window only allows to see a part of .csv file selected for import in order to make sure that you've chosen correct file with actual data.
Also here you can check which field delimiters and quote character values you have chosen to separate columns and fields of your file. You will need to indicate that information further.
5. Select fields delimiter and quote character page contains important settings. Analyzing data from the previous step, you have to indicate delimiters for file columns and file details.
Please, pay special attention to that step, since if you specify wrong values, import may not work.
6. Next step allows to choose store view you would like to import your configurable products to. You can update default store view by checking appropriate tickbox.
7. Base formats window contains settings that influence importing of date values and numbers. In most cases you can leave these settings as they are.
8. At the next step you have to Assign columns from .csv file to appropriate database fields.
The left pane "Database Fields" shows the list of fields in your database. The right pane shows the fields of your .csv file.
If the columns are marked in red, it means that they are not assigned yet.
9. On Import Preview page you can see if you correctly set all the settings and if your columns where linked properly. which you specified at the previous steps.
If some of the columns are blank, that means that either you haven't assigned .csv column, or it is empty in source (.csv) file. Columns that were not assigned will not be imported, whereas empty values will overwrite the
10. Import options settings will affect Import results. So please pay special attention to that step of import.
You can choose Import Method
Add and Modify – this option will add new product if it is not available in database yet and modify those products that were found
Add Only option – only adds new products only
Modify Only – this option only updates the existing products and do not add new entries
Just Add – this option simply adds products as new without checking whether the products already exist in the database, so sometimes it may produce product duplicates (in case if the same product already exist in your
formatting, column names etc.
Re-indexation of your database tables you can perform during the importing by checking the one of the following options:
If you use the bridge connection type choose the 'Reindex product data by bridge' option and Store Manager via bridge retrieve imported data with re -indexing during posting.
You can indicate to perform re-index by Store Manager itself after import has been completed - 'Reindex product data by Store Manager' option.
To facilitate the import process you can un-check this field and launch re-indexation from your Admin Panel after import as well.
If necessary to clean up the relations for configurable products - you should on this step of import procedure in 'Clean Relations' sector check the necessary product type check-boxes.
11. In the last window of Import Product Wizard you will see if any errors occurred during import process.
Please, also check a few useful articles:
How to Create All Combinations of Simple Products that Belong to Main Magento Configurable Product in 2 Clicks
How to ... >