fmEditProduct - Edit Product Form, fmImageLoadForm,
To create a new Magento product or edit an existing one, proceed through several steps:
Click on create new or edit product icon, to see the edit product window:
Select a Store View - Select a store where you would like
to add the Magento product from the appropriate drop-down. By default new Magento product is created for all stores managed by the admin, but you can
select one of available stores to create the product in.
Specify the following General Information:
- Name - The product name as it will appear in the front-end
- SKU - The products SKU. Magento uses SKU as a unique
identifier for this product, across all stores and websites. SKU is
global, meaning if you update the SKU for a product in one store, it
will update in all other stores as well.
- Weight - Usually used for shipping calculations.
- Status - Status can be Enabled or Disabled. “Enabled”
displays normally in the front-end, and “Disabled” doesn't display in
- Tax Class - Specify the Tax Class associated to the
product. This determines which Tax Rule will be used for this product,
and consequently the Tax Rate that will be charged to your customers.
- URL key - The Search Engine Friendly URL Identifier
adds a relative URL path which can be entered in place of the standard
Target Path. It is Search Engine Friendly because it can use the name of
the product instead of the ID#. If you leave this field blank, it will
automatically generate with the name of the product upon creation of the
product. If you enter a value here manually, you cannot use spaces in
- Visibility - You can decide whether your product will
display in the page(s) of its associated category(ies), display when
your customer searches for the product, both, or neither. It may be
useful to “hide” certain products from your customers if they are
associated to a Configurable or Grouped Product, so that the product is
only visible through the Configurable or Grouped Product’s page, and not
- Allow Gift Message - If you have enabled Product
Level Gift Messages in the Configuration page, you can allow your
customer to enter a gift message for a specific product during checkout
by selecting Yes. If you select Use config, it will use the value in the
Allow Product Level Gift Messages drop-down in the system
configuration. This differs from Order Level Gift Messages because your
customers can add a different message for each product that has this
feature enable. This is useful if they create one order, but ship to
- Product Manufacturer – Select Manufacturer form the
drop-down. You can add to this dropdown by adding a manufacturer in
Catalog->Manufacturers. You must do this before you add product if
you want to use this dropdown. Alternatively, you can do it afterwards
by editing your product.
- Set Product as New from/to Date - In these fields, enter the date range in which the Magento product will be promoted as a new product.
Also there may be more fields defined by user, so you can add/change them, make required, or vice versa, etc - it's up to you.
Specify product Prices:
- Price - Specify an actual price your want to sell your item for. If you have a special or discount, this will be the original price.
- Cost - The Cost is for internal purposes and does not require a value.
- Special Price - You can enter a Special Price for
this product. In the front-end, this will appear underneath the original
price (referred to as the Regular Price), which will be crossed out.
The Special Price will display in red, and be referred to the Special
- Special Price From/To Date - You can enter a date
range within which the Special price will be active. This price will
apply automatically when the From Date arrives and deactivate
automatically when the To Date arrives. If you leave this range blank,
the Special Price will apply until you remove it.
Specify Meta Information - Page Title, Meta Keywords and
Meta Description. The Page Title will display in the browser’s title bar
when this product is being viewed. Meta Keywords and Description will
show in the tag of the product’s HTML source.
6. Load Images. You can add Thumbnail, Small, and Base images.
When first creating a product, you will not have any custom images
uploaded. Therefore, all three image fields will be blank.
To add images to the product, click
button and you'll see the Load Image form.
Select an Image by clicking:
browse contents of your local folders and select an image. When you
press OK button on edit form it will be uploaded to "Images directory"
on FTP. When local image selected, this field will display local image
path like C:\My Images\some_image.jpg. But local image path will be replaced with image name some_image.jpg right after upload. to select some image stored remotely. It's done by browsing contents of FTP folder specified as "Images directory".
- to open Image Resize Rules window click on the appropriate button in the 'Load Image' form - .
You can add or delete rules if you need one. You have a possibility also to abolish your previous entries - and apply the changes you have made - by helping with the options of Image Resize
Rules form's toolbar.
Click OK to upload file.
7. Recurring Profile tab.
In recurring profile tab you can see two fields:
- the first one - recurring profile field - by default it is not activated and you can choose from the drop-down list the appropriate variant to enable it.
- In the second one field - recurring payment profile - you can set the following data after pressing the 'Editor' button (as you can see in the illustration above).
There are four sections with the fields which contains necessary data to configure the scheduler of recurring payment profile.
The first 'Schedule' box requires to configure the main fields for recurring profile scheduler:
- the first field allows to choose the date when the recurring payments for specific product is started. In order to perform this, you should choose 'Yes' variant from the drop-down.
- submits the short description for recurring payments that will be displayed in the information page of payment system as a direct name of recurring payment. If you leave this field blank, the name of the selected product will be
shown as the name of recurring profile as well.
- specify some value of scheduled payments that can fail before the profile is automatically suspended;
- automatically bill the outstanding balance amount in the next billing cycle (if there were failed payments) .
'Billing' sector contains the following fields:
Billing Period Unit – you have to choose from the drop-down list the unit for customer billing which will be used during the subscription period. It can be day, week, two week, month or year.
Billing Frequency - you have to specify the number of billing periods that make up one billing cycle
Maximum Billing Cycles - limited value of billing cycles for subscription period. Namely how many billing cycles are allowed within the same recurring profile. If you leave this field blank the recurring profile will be always activated.
For example, in the ‘billing period unit’ field you can choose the 'Month parameter, in the ‘billing frequency’ set the value equal to 1 and in the ‘maximum billing cycles’ field enter the number 12 .
‘Trial period’ area allows specify the trial period, during which the customer pay the special 'trial' price for the desired product. These fields are similar to the previous sector fields. There is one difference - all data you have
specified in this sector has limitation in time (they are trial).
'Trial Billling Amount' field serves for specifying the appropriate product price during trial period.
'Initial Fees' box requires to fill such fields as:
Initial Fee — initial non-recurring payment amount due immediately upon profile creation. Initial payment charge only once during entire subscription period
Allow initial fee failure - whether to suspend the payment profile if the initial fee fails or add it to the outstanding balance.
Press 'OK' to save your entries.
8. Specify Design of the page for the product.
You can control the way your Magento product's page looks like
individually here. It is very similar to the individual design options
for categories. If your Magento product page has a design separate from the
category page to which it is associated, then the product level design
will supersede the category level design.
Click OK to save this entry, or click cancel to discard this entry.
- Custom Design - Select the design you want from the
Custom Design drop-down. Magento comes with several different design
options out of the box. If you leave this drop-down blank, it will
automatically use the Current package name design. This can be edited by
navigating to System > Configuration and clicking the Design tab.
Enter the name of the design you want in the Current package name field,
and this design will apply to all products for which you do not specify
a different design.
- Active From and Active To - With the Active From and
Active To fields, you can select a time frame in which the category will
automatically switch to a design, and then switch back to the blank
option when the time frame ends. This is perfect for the holidays, so
that you can create a holiday design for your pages, and then have your
site automatically switch back to the normal design whenever you want,
without having to remember to do it yourself.
- The Custom Layout Update is essentially a static block, with a few differences.
Edit HTML button -
shows new HTML editor window of product description. It has 2 tabs:
HTML and Code, and Properties Toolbar. Source preview is useful if you
are working directly with "raw" HTML text, which gives you precise
control over the tags used in the page. However, by default, you can
still work with objects visually.
- Display Product Options In - Specify where to show product options - show a Block After Info Column or in a Product Info Column.
9. In the 'Gift Options' tab you can let or deny your customers to create their own gift messages to a specific product during checkout. If you choose 'Use Config' variant the appropriate value will be used in the drop-down list in
the system configuration of "Allow Product Level Gift Messages" field:
If you allow gift packaging - choose the variant ‘Yes’ from the drop-down list in the particular field, you can also set the value of gift wrapping.
In order to do this press to open the embedded calculator:
Also here you can check related articles on Magento Product Management:
How to Make Mass Product Changes
Go Clever with Store Manager for Magento Products Updating
Have an Easy Time Performing Bulk Updates with Multi-Editor Tool of Store Manager for Magento
How to Assign Multiple Products to Categories
Best Solutions To Manage Your Magento Store
Discover the Functionality of the Search Option in Store Manager for Magento
Magento Product Types. What is Magento Configurable Product in plain words?
What is Magento Configurable Product? How to Create Magento Configurable Product?
How to Create All Combinations of Simple Products that Belong to Main Magento Configurable Product in 2 Clicks
Simple Products with Custom Options VS Configurable Products
By eMagicOne Inc.